Home inspections are a crucial part of the home selling process. Taking the time to PREPARE for the inspection can be just as essential. Home sellers that take the time to get ready for the inspection will pave the way for a smoother inspection & transaction. Here are some simple, inexpensive & often FREE things you can do:
1. Clear all walkways of debris & obstacles
2. Replace all dirty furnace filters
3. Make sure all lights & receptacles are operational. Change out any burnt out bulbs.
4. Provide clear access to the attic hatch, mechanicals including the water heater, furnace, air conditioner.
5. Provide on kitchen counter any documents showing recent service/repairs, permits for additions/renovations, warranties for major work such as a roof replacement.
6. Don’t run your dishwasher. (The inspector will run it through a full cycle.)
7. Replace batteries in smoke detectors
8. Loosen any windows that are painted shut
9. Make sure any storage sheds, detached garages or crawl spaces are unlocked & accessible.
10.Have any masonry chimneys swept
11.If home has a septic system, have it pumped.